Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Riley

I am in shock and not really believing it.  Our sweet puppy Riley went to Heaven on Sunday to be with Blake.  We had NO idea anything was wrong with her.  She was her usual self...full of love, life and happiness.  Greg took the kids and Riley to a local park/lake to swim.  She swam around for quite awhile as she just loves to swim.  Then she hung out in the shade for awhile and rested.  They started to walk back to the car and her legs became stiff and she just fell over.  I met up with them, we rushed her a few blocks away to a friend's house who is a vet.  She had died.  She actually had died even before I got to see her.  We are all just DEVASTATED. The Vet thinks it may have been her heart as Cavaliers have heart issues.  However, her parents are fine with no heart issues.
 We all loved Riley so much.  She was only 1- 1/2 years old.  We got Riley to help us all (and especially Drew) to deal with our great sadness of losing Blake.  I cannot understand how  we would have to lose again.  We have all been crying for hours.  I REALLY enjoyed having Riley hang out with me in the evenings as she was such a sweetie and LOVED sleeping with her.    She helped me so much with missing Blake's snuggles.  It is just so sad. 

Brielle has said some cute things the past couple of days.  Tonight we were talking about how we miss taking Riley for a walk and Brielle said, "Riley doesn't need a walk.  She is running around up in Heaven and having a great time!"    Today we were walking by a pet store and I was feeling sad.  Brielle looked up at me and said, "We don't need to buy any dog food, cuz our dog died".  Just the facts there.  And last night Brielle was asking about Riley  and who is up in Heaven if she is still down here.  I started to talk about her soul and spirit and she was confused.  I told her I'm not sure I have an answer for her that makes sense, but I'll think about it.  She responded, "But you are a mom, you should know".
Our family is missing Riley so much.  Daniel has stayed home for two days and just read books.  He loves to read and finds comfort in his books.  I know his heart is so sad.  Drew is sad and thoughtful.  He wants another dog to comfort him.  He said he had a talk with Riley and told her that if he gets another dog it won't ever replace her, but just help him with his sadness.  I find myself crying a lot and looking for Riley throughout the house.   We are faced with deciding if we should get another puppy now or later or never.  Many people have said another dog would help us heal.  I believe this is to be true for Brielle, Drew and myself.  Daniel thinks it is all too soon and Greg doesn't know even if he wants another dog.  Our breeders offered us an 11 week old Cavalier.  He is very cute.
I really believe in the old saying, "It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all."  I like to think that Riley is hanging out with Blake in Heaven and giving him lots of snuggles for us.



3 comments:

Jen said...

I am so sad for you and your family. What a horrible thing to happen. And so suddenly too!

I am not sure this post is going to work, as I have tried to post to you a million times in the past.

If it does work, I will be so excited and go back and post many of the things I had been hoping to say to you.

For now, I am so sorry. The thought is devastating to me.

Jen said...

I am in shock. I can't believe it finally worked.

I will be back to go back through....

I am out the door right now!

Jen said...

I am still in shock about your little doggie. I was talking to a neighbor and she has your breed of dog. It was so strange b/c I had never heard of that breed and then after I read your post, I find out my neighbor has one too.

I am so, so, sorry for the lose of Riley. I can't even imagine what you are going through.

I have this naive idea that if you have been through a truly tragic experience in life, you should simply be exempt from anymore unwarranted pain. Like I said, "completely naive."

Thinking of you all yesterday and today too!